Rustic Vegetable Soup
A hot bowl of homemade soup is the absolute perfect comfort food on a rainy day or chilly winter’s night. It’s like a warm hug – cozy and soul soothin!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 large carrots (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 4 cups of baby potatoes (sliced in half, then half again)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 4 cups organic vegetable broth + 1 cup water
- 2–15oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1–15oz can white kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp himalayan salt (adjust to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium-low heat heat oil.
- Once hot, add onion, garlic and a teaspoon of salt and cook about 8 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes and cook for a few more minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in Italian seasoning.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, spinach, beans, bay leaf, and several grinds of pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender (about 35 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Remove bay leaf and season to taste with salt (don’t be shy, I added lots of salt!) and pepper.
- Serve hot with a thick slice of sourdough bread.