A yummy twist on “traditional” cinnamon buns that will leave your house smelling like heaven for hours.
- 1 cup sourdough starter (ripe & fed)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup butter (softened)
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or white)
- 1 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/8 himalayan salt
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 cup full fat cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 -3 Tbsp milk
- Place all the dough ingredients (except salt) into a large bowl and mix together until evenly moistened and a sticky mass is formed.
- *If using a stand mixer about 2 to 3 minutes on a low speed.
- Add the salt on top of the dough (without mixing it in), then cover and let the dough rest for 20 minutes. This rest is period is known as an autolyse.
- Then mix in the salt until fully incorporated.
- Turn the mixer up one speed and knead the dough until it’s smooth and supple though still somewhat soft and tacky, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place for 4 hours.
- Every hour stretch and fold the dough a couple of time.
- Lightly greased 9” x 13” pan (set aside).
- In a medium bowl, combine all the filling ingredients.
- Place the dough out onto a lightly greased or floured work surface and roll into a 14” x 20” rectangle.
- Spread the filling evenly over the surface of the dough.
- Starting with a short edge, roll the dough into a log.
- Cut the log into twelve 1 1/2” slices.
- Place them in prepared pan.
- Cover and let the buns rise until they’re puffy (about 3 – 4) hours.
- You can either bake them right away or place in the refrigerator overnight and bake in the morning.
- For morning baking, simply remove pan from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place buns in the oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-22 mins.
- Mix together the topping ingredients until smooth.
- Remove the buns from the oven and cool for 5 to 10 minutes before icing.